Good morning, fellow imaginers, and I hope your weekend has been amazing! I’ve been grinding away with my final edits and wanted to continue our series of character profiles, bringing you interviews from the world of Metamorphs! We will be looking at one of the stalwarts of the book, an example of loyalty, bravery, and compassion. The classic strongman of the group, Dan is more than happy to lend a helping hand. But like many of the characters in this world, there’s more going on underneath the polite, humble shell. Here is a bit of background information to get us started:
Name- Daniel Samus
Physical attributes- he is a hulk of a teenager. 6’5, 250 lbs of muscle, Dan looks like he should be tackling quarterbacks rather than schoolwork. Sandy, blond hair and brown eyes round out his muscular frame.
Hollywood dream cast- J.J. Watt of the Houston Texans. ESPN
- What is your life like now, and if you could change anything about it, what would that be?
- Dan: Well, I’m honored that ya’ll decided to interview a small-town guy like me. There’s plenty of kids around this school that are more interesting, I assure you! My life is pretty normal, I suppose. I help out around the farm back home in Wisconsin and try my best to look after my siblings. Between the cows and keeping those kids outta trouble, I’m not sure which is the harder job! I guess, if I had to choose to change something, it would be for people to stop lookin’ at me like I’m just some big ole’ dummy from the country. I hate that damn stereotype.
- What would you like to do or be like that you can’t?
- Dan: Between you and me, I love science! And the arts! I know it sounds stupid but I’d love to do something where I could combine the two. Like some mad scientist that invents stuff and is super creative. Like Tony Stark in Iron-Man! Or Bruce Wayne in Bat-man! But I’m nowhere near that smart. At least not yet anyway.
- What are your values?
- Dan: No brainer: loyalty, family, and work ethic. I like having people on my side who I can trust, and I’m willing to sacrifice everything for them. Family means a lot, coming from my background, and I’m a big believer that you should always look after each other. Lastly, I’m someone who puts 100% into everything they do. You work hard, you reap the rewards. Simple enough.
- What are your ambitions?
- Dan: You better not laugh…I wanna be at the top the class when it comes to academics. I know it’s a long shot, what with all these smart kids runnin’ around this place, but I’m willin’ to put in the work to prove myself.
- What is your goal?
- Dan: To be the best teammate I can be and improve myself in every facet. I’m not content with just being the muscle. I’m gonna show people there’s more to me than just being strong, and hopefully change the way I’m perceived.
Personal Thoughts– Dan was a calming character for me while writing. From the moment he stepped onto the school, Dan was the reassuring presence that Team Davids needed. Steady, friendly, and courageous, Dan is always willing to help out those in need. He has the prototypical strongman/savior features that you would expect from your Super-mans and Captain Americas: super-strong, polite, genuine, loyal, and strongly-aligned towards good.
Where Dan varies from those tropes is what makes him interesting. Despite his humble upbringing and seemingly one-dimensional powers, Dan is actually quite ambitious and intelligent. He truly believes that if he works hard enough, he can overcome whatever stereotypes he’s been given and develop into something unique. While he is willing to set aside his ambitions for the good of the team, inside of his mind, there’s more brewing than even his best friends comprehend. He is definitely an exciting character to watch out for in later installments!
As always, I hope you all enjoyed this character profile. Until next time, keep imagining…